Hi, I’m Mandy Nott, a practicing Naturopath in Canberra. I work with a number of natural solutions from, naturopathic medicine and herbal remedies, to nutritional supplements, and detox and weight-loss programs.
I have so many clients who come to me because they are searching for a natural remedy to their health ailments and issues. Often they know vaguely what a Naturopath does, or perhaps they are interested in herbal remedies, but they don’t know much more. This is why I thought it would be ideal to include some information on what exactly Naturopathy is and how it can help.
What is Naturopathy?
Naturopathic medicine is a natural way of treating patients through complementary and alternative medicine. Unlike some remedies, Naturopathy focusses on both prevention and treatment. When applied, Naturopathic Medicine will always look towards self-healing; and will tie in different scientific, modern and traditional ways of implementing medicine.
Naturopathy is a lot more than simply prescribing some herbs and expecting the patient to recover. It includes a mix of herbal medicine and dietary, nutritional and lifestyle advice, for the prevention and treatment of disease. It also helps the body with detoxification, dealing with stress, improving digestion and generally promoting balance and wellbeing.
A Naturopath will treat the whole person, not just one aspect of their lives. They will look at a patient’s diet, environment and lifestyle, to see how their health can be improved through natural practices. Naturopathic medicine is all about observing and balancing the holistic elements of mind, body and spirit.
How Can Naturopathic Medicine Help You?
Many patients will seek out a Naturopath after conventional medicine hasn’t worked for them. A good Naturopath will help identify what is going on in their patient’s body; and what is causing them pain, ill-health or discomfort. Often a good Naturopath will be able to identify and treat disease before it is fully established within the body.
Seeing a Naturopath can help you treat your health ailments, improve your overall health and wellbeing, and prevent disease before it takes hold.
The principles of Naturopathy
Naturopathy has six core principles which are taken into account when treating a patient.
- The healing power of nature– nature has the innate ability to heal. The human body also has the innate ability to heal itself. It is the combination of natural remedies and self-healing that forms the basis of Naturopathic treatment.
- Identify and treat the cause – there is always an underlying cause, be it physical or emotional. A good Naturopath will see the patient’s symptoms as a sign there is dis-harmony in the body and will search for the underlying cause.
- Do no harm- The role of the Naturopath is to support the body’s natural ability to heal itself. All therapeutic actions should be synergistic to this healing process, using non-invasive treatments and avoiding harmful doses of medicine.
- Treat the whole person– when preparing a treatment plan, all aspects of a person’s being are taken into consideration – mind, body, spirit, diet, lifestyle etc.
- The Naturopath as a teacher – it is important that a Naturopath empowers the patient to take responsibility for his/her own health by teaching self-care; and educating them about diet, lifestyle and overall wellbeing.
- Prevention is better than cure –Naturopaths look at all aspects of a patient’s health, including family history and where they may be susceptible to certain disease states. Based on this they will give dietary and lifestyle advice as a means for disease prevention.
If you would like to partner with a Naturopath who is truly committed to your long-term health and wellbeing, then call me today on 0421 082 946. You can also send me a message directly through my contact form. I look forward to hearing from you.
Here’s to your health!